This excellent meditation derives from the Discourse on Loving-kindness (Metta Sutta) given by Buddha Shakyauni 2500 years ago. The loving -kindness he spoke of then is till the deepest need of the world today. the Pali word metta (maitri in Sanskrit) means universal loving-Kindness, friendliness, and goodwill free from expectation and possessiveness. Metta is an all-embracing love-a sincere desire for the happiness and well-being of others. With this sublime heart of love, we express care and concern for all beings through benevolent through benevolent thoughts, feelings, and words, as well as through selfless acts of kindness and generosity.
To cultivate this sublime loving-kindness, we must allow our hearts to open, embracing ourselves and others with compassion and unconditional love. Including this meditation in our practice of loving-kindness brings immense benefit. We develop the valuable skill of concentration. We dissolve the barriers in and negativity into courage and kindness, and we learn to care for and love all beings without exception. The radiance of our loving-kindness brings protection from harmful influences and offers blessings and beneficence to all it touches.Spiritual development and ultimate awakening are based upon the firm foundation of loving-kindness for all beings. To help establish this essential foundation. Practice this meditation daily for 15 to 20 minutes.
1) Begin by directing loving –kindness toward yourself. By overcoming any sense of unworthiness and Allow the heartfelt radiance of loving –kindness to fill your being as you recite each phrase of this meditation slowly and with deep feeling: May my heart be filled with happiness and peace, May I be free from all kinds of sufferings. When you heart is full of loving kindness and happiness, extend your Happiness to others.
2) Visualize a person for whom you feel love, respect. And gratitude. Radiate heartfelt loving-kindness to this person as you recite each phrase slowly: May your heart be filled with happiness and peace…May you be free form all kind of sufferings and so on..
3) Visualize a person toward whom you feel neutral or indifferent. Radiate heartfelt loving-kindness to this person as like oneself.
4) Visualize a person with whom you experience fear, hurt, conflict, resentment, anger or aversion. Although it may be challenging, radiate heartfelt loving-kindness to this person as well.
5) Finally, radiate heartfelt loving-kindness to all living beings throughout all realms of existence: May the hearts of all beings be filled with happiness and peace..
When there is love in our hearts, there will be love in the world. When there is peace in our hearts, there will be peace in the world.